Jump to main content

Prydie flourishing in new setting

Prydie flourishing in new setting

It is sometimes hard to believe that Tom Prydie won the first of his five Welsh caps to date seven years go.

Share this page:

The youngster player ever to play for Wales when he faced Italy in the Six Nations on 20 March, 2010 at the age of 18 years, 25 days, he could have been vying with George North in the race to become the youngster Welshman to reach 100 caps.

But while North had reached 69 caps by the time he turned 25 in April this year, Prydie is still locked on the five he picked up between 2010-13. His last outing for Wales was in Japan four years ago as injuries have frustrated his development.

Having started at the Ospreys, the Porthcawl-born wing-cum-full-back has had stints at Wasps and the Dragons. But from September onwards, he will be a Scarlets player, having joined the reigning PRO12 champions this summer.

With Liam Williams having moved on to the European champions Saracens, could Prydie find a new home in the No 15 jersey at Parc y Scarlets?

“The way the Scarlets play is really attractive and that’s the way that I like to play rugby. If I can get a lot of game time then, hopefully, things will work out and the way that the Scarlets play will really suit me,” said Prydie.

“It’s about trying to get a jersey for the start of the season then, and I’m not looking any further than that to be honest. I am really looking forward to the friendlies first of all, playing well there and showing the coaches what I can do.

“It’s a new season and I am in a really good place at the minute, the body is feeling good and I am at the champions of the league, so I couldn’t’ ask for any more. There are some really quality players in the backline with the likes of Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams and so many more.

“It’s not just that, the way the forwards play and interact with the backs is exciting. It has been enjoyable being in a different environment, learning new calls and working with new coaches.

“From day one everything we do has involved a rugby ball and has involved skills. Steve [Jones] is really big on that and, in between weights, we have a rugby ball in our hands, constantly working and looking for the ball.

“His attention to detail is really impressive – I had a kicking session with him the first day and he picked up two or three things that no one has really picked up before in the past. They are only little details but they can make a hell of a difference on the outcome of kicks.”

Prydie spent five seasons at Rodney Parade, making 93 appearances and scoring 16 tries for the Dragons, and actually made his Wales debut in a side that had Stephen Jones at No 10.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness