Jump to main content

Benjamin signs on for Dragons revolution

Benjamin signs on for Dragons revolution

Dragons head coach Bernard Jackman has confirmed James Benjamin is the latest player to commit his future to the Rodney Parade-based region.

Share this page:

The versatile back-row forward has signed a new three-year contract with Jackman’s ambitious side.

“James is one of the most skilful footballers in our region,” said Jackman.

“Having spent last season on the World Sevens circuit, it’s important we recognise the role Gareth Williams and the Wales Sevens have played in his development.

“I feel James has potential for huge further growth as he develops physically. His signing for a further three seasons is a real boost for the Dragons.”

After graduating from the Dragons Academy and regional age grade teams, 23-year-old back-row forward Benjamin made a memorable debut in 2013 as the Dragons secured victory over Wasps at Rodney Parade.

He has represented Bedwas, Cross Keys and Pontypool at Principality Premiership level and is a former Wales Under-20 international.

Benjamin said: “The Dragons squad is full of talented young players from our region and I’m excited to sign a new three-year contract.

“I’ve enjoyed playing Sevens for Wales and whenever you get the chance to represent your country it’s a great honour, but I’m enjoying playing for the Dragons as we face a crucial run of fixtures through December and into the New Year.”

Benjamin is the latest player to extend his stay with the Dragons joining Welsh internationals Elliot Dee, Leon Brown and Ollie Griffiths, as well as Jack Dixon and Joe Davies, in signing three-year contracts.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness