Jump to main content

Jones hopes for strong Premiership finish with RGC

Mark Jones

RGC 1404 head coach Mark Jones

Mark Jones hopes his 30-hour weekly commute will be worthwhile as RGC 1404 target a strong finish to their Principality Premiership season.

Share this page:

Former Scarlets and Wales wing Jones lives in Bryncoch on the outskirts of Neath and travels at least four times a week to Colwyn Bay where he is head coach of RGC.

The 39-year-old admits it is taxing work but insists it is worth it as he continues to play a vital role in growing the game in north Wales.

“I travel up to north Wales three or four times a week depending on where the game is,” said Jones.

“I usually go up on the Monday, stay over on a Monday night, and come back about one o’clock in the morning on Wednesday.

“I work from home on a Wednesday, go up and back on Thursday and then work from home on Friday. There is about 30 odd hours a week in the car which is a challenge in itself.

“I’ve got to be honest I’m not much use come Friday morning! I’m glad I have a couple of hours doing very little because the weekends are consumed by the game and planning for the next week.

“It takes over four hours to get up to north Wales from Bryncoch. The only quick way to north Wales is via helicopter and there’s not quick route in the car unfortunately.

“But it’s worth all the hours of travelling to see the game grow in north Wales.”

RGC are currently eighth in the Premiership and host Carmarthen Quins in Colwyn Bay on Saturday. Quins are two places behind RGC in 10th and Jones is expecting a tough battle.

He said: “Carmarthen will pose us a very tough challenge. Having faced Quins over the last few seasons they are a good side.

“They haven’t been as consistent this year as they have in previous seasons, but having watched their last three or four games they’ve still got a hell of a lot of threats right across the pitch. When they do put their game together and get it right they can beat anybody in the league.

“It’s going to be a tough game and we’re just hoping that maybe they have an off day and don’t come with the potential we know they’ve got.”

In the other fixtures to take place Aberavon host relegation threatened Bargoed while Bedwas welcome Cross Keys to Bridge Field. Bottom club Neath face Llandovery with Swansea meeting defending champions Merthyr and Bridgend hosting Newport.

Llanelli will be hoping to lift themselves out of relegation trouble as they face Cardiff in the weekend’s final fixture on Sunday.

Principality Premiership fixtures – Saturday, March 2 (all kick-offs 2.30pm)

Aberavon vs Bargoed
Bedwas vs Cross Keys
Neath vs Llandovery
RGC 1404 vs Carmarthen Quins
Swansea vs Merthyr
Bridgend vs Newport

Sunday, March 3
Llanelli vs Cardiff (2.30pm)

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners