Jump to main content

Wales legend Phillips in one-off Whitland appearance

Wales legend Phillips in one-off Whitland appearance

Former Wales scrum-half Mike Phillips has come out of retirement to feature for hometown club Whitland this weekend

Mike Phillips has temporarily come out of retirement to make a one-off appearance for hometown club Whitland on Saturday.

Share this page:

The former Wales and British & Irish Lions scrum-half retired from professional rugby in 2017 after winning 94 caps for Wales and making five Test appearances for the Lions.

But he is back for one game only and will start for Whitland – the club where he began his junior career – against Aberystwyth in the number nine jersey this weekend.

Phillips is back in Wales promoting his new autobiography Half Truths and Whitland have twisted his arm into returning to the field.

Phillips currently lives in Dubai with his family.

“I’ve got so many wonderful memories of playing for Whitland,” said the 39-year-old who represented the Scarlets, Cardiff, Ospreys, Bayonne and Sale Sharks.

“This is where I realised my dreams could come true. We have a book event night in Whitland on Friday night so Paul Kirk asked me if I wanted to play on Saturday.

“I said yes so hopefully we can have a good game.”

Phillips is joined in the Whitland side for the Aberystwyth game by lock David Ebsworth.

The pair reunite after both playing for the west Wales side 20 years ago.

Marc Jones captains the team from hooker.

James Thomas, the brother of Bristol Bears and former Wales Under-20, Gloucester and Scarlets flanker Dan, also begins the game at blindside flanker.

Phillips added: “I’ve got two days of promoting my book at the club and it will be 20 years since I last played for them.

“The incredible thing is one of the players I played with way back then, David, is still actually playing for Whitland.

“My first game for Whitland was against Tenby and I hear that Aberystwyth had a big 60-10 win last weekend.

“I’ve been doing a bit of training of late and I think I should be good for 60 or 65 minutes, but let’s see how it goes.

“I wanted to help the club out after Covid-19 and I’m really looking forward to playing in the jersey again.

“I’m doing my level three coaching badge at the moment and I really enjoy working with young scrum-halves, maybe I’ll get that chance in the future.”

As well as Phillips, Whitland can also benefit from the knowledge of Matt Jess who in September joined the club as a player and backs coach.

The former Dragons and Exeter back brings plenty of professional experience to the side although he will not be involved on the field against Aberystwyth.

“Matt brings with him a wealth of experience and knowledge having played for English Counties along with several high-profile teams in the west country,” Whitland said.

“This includes a long successful playing career at wing with Exeter Chiefs and he was part of the team which won the Aviva Premiership title in 2017.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness