Jump to main content

Peel selected as Scarlets chase Magners success

Peel selected as Scarlets chase Magners success

Llanelli Scarlets are still in the mix for Magners League glory and have named the side to tackle struggling Ulster on Friday at Ravenhill (7.30pm).

Share this page:

The Scarlets ended a four-match losing run in their last outing on 15th February, when they beat Glasgow Warriors 30-7 at Stradey Park. They will head to Ravenhill with limited second row options as they aim to maintain their league title ambitions.

Vernon Cooper (broken hand), Adam Eustace (knee) and Scott MacLeod (shoulder) are all out, leaving Lou Reed and Dominic Day as they only fit locks. Prop Ben Broster (hamstring) is also unlikely to start, but hooker Ken Owens is available after recovering from a lengthy knee injury.

“Ken’s had an interesting year and a half since I arrived,” said Scarlets Director of Rugby, Phil Davies. “He’s got great potential and is one for the future. It’s great to see him back. He’s worked tremendously hard with the medical and conditioning staff here and it’s good to see him back on the pitch. He’s got a lot of frustration which I hope we’ll some coming out in a positive way on Friday night.”

Scarlets have Dwayne Peel at scrum-half after he was cleared from a head injury suffered in Wales’s win over Italy. Wales back-row Alix Popham and Ireland counterpart Simon Easterby are also available but start on the bench.

Ulster: M Bartholomeusz; S Danielli, P Steinmetz, P Wallace, M McCrea; N O’Connor, I Boss; B Young, R Best (Capt), T Court, J Harrison, R Caldwell, M McCullough, K Dawson, S Ferris Replacements: N Brady, J Fitzpatrick, C Del Fava, N Best, P Marshall, D Cave, B Cunningham

Scarlets: Morgan Stoddart; Dafydd James, Regan King, Gavin Evans, Nathan Brew; Rhys Priestland, Dwayne Peel; Iestyn Thomas, Mo Schwalger, Deacon Manu, Dafydd Jones, Lou Reed, James Bater (capt), Gavin Thomas, Nathan Thomas Replacements: Phil John, Ken Owens, Dominic Day, Simon Easterby, Alix Popham, Gavin Cattle, Ceiron Thomas

Referee: Andy Macpherson (SRU)

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness