Jump to main content

Wing Harries swooping for more caps

Wing Harries swooping for more caps

Newport Gwent Dragons flyer Will Harries doesn’t intend to let his international career remain on the mere 10 minutes he was given at the end of Wales’ summer tour to New Zealand.

Share this page:

The 23-year-old was a late replacement for the injured Sane Williams on the two-Test tour down under and found himself replacing the teenage Tom Prydie for the final throes of the 29-10 defeat to the All Blacks in Hamilton.

But as he returned to training at Rodney Parade this week he pledged to make what happened at the Waikato Stadium be the true beginning, rather than the end, of his international career.

“Last season was amazing. The first half of the season I was just trying to break into the Dragons squad but, come January and February, I was starting to get into the side,” said harries, who also played for the Wales Sevens.

“I was starting every week and, from there on, the season went really quickly. There was a bit of talk about playing for Wales, but I didn’t give it much attention.

“But then I was selected for the stand-by squad for the New Zealand tour, which I was really excited about, and when Shane Williams got injured I got the call-up. It was a great season and to top it all off with a place on the Wales tour was fantastic.

“Playing for your country is the highest honour, but to play against the All Blacks in your first game is something else.”

“I obviously have ambitions to play for Wales again, but first and foremost I have to play well with my club. This season it is all about playing consistently well for the Dragons.

“It was my first season last year and we played some really good stuff. We are a tight group of players and this season we have got to play the same way as we did last year.

“We want to push for a better finish than last season, but if we can play the same way as we did last year, like in the Munster and Ospreys games, improve our away form and be a bit more consistent, then I think we will be in contention.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness