Jump to main content

Dragons set for strong Brew

Dragons set for strong Brew

The Brew brothers are back on Parade following Nathan’s decision to rejoin Aled at Newport Gwent Dragons.

Share this page:

The 28-year-old made 72 appearances for the Dragons before heading off on his travels to the Scarlets, Bristol and then Neath. Prior to those four seasons with the Dragons he had spent three years with Newport.

Now he has singed a one-year contract with his former region as he attempts to kick-start his professional career again. In his last season with the Dragons, 2006/07, he was joined at the club by younger brother Aled, who has now become one of the major strike forces at Rodney Parade.

With 21 tries in 58 appearances, Aled is hot on the heels of the club record of 29 tries in a career and could find himself lining-up on the wing outside Nathan in the new season.

“If I am honest ever since I left the Dragons I have regretted it. When I look back I always think it was the wrong decision – it was making a change for changes sake,” admitted Nathan

“I think the decision to leave was based upon wanting to test myself somewhere else and further my international ambitions. The move to the Scarlets just didn’t click and then Bristol got relegated.

“So I was left with two options – go to France or drop to the Principality Premiership and get back to basics. I played about 20 games at Neath and really enjoyed my time there – I have got my hunger back for the game.

“I was with Newport for three years and the Dragons for four, so it is terrific to be back at Rodney Parade. I have really missed the set-up and environment here.”

“Aled speaks so highly of the place. It is a very happy camp and, of course, their performances last year helped me in making my decision.”

Nathan scored 14 tries in his 72 games for the Dragons and won international honours. He played once for Wales, scoring on his debut, and was on the bench three times.

Where he led, Aled followed, and he currently has three caps to his name. Now the family quest is to help the Dragons improve and to add to their cap collection.

“I am 28 and I still feel I have a good few years left and, hopefully, I can get back to the level I think I am capable of playing. I am not expecting to be selected straight away, but I’ve only got a one-year contract and I’m hoping I will be here a lot longer.”

The Brews became the 30th set of brothers to play for Wales when Aled was first capped against Ireland.

The full list, with the number of appearances they made together in the same Welsh side in brackets, is as follows:

Billy & Jack Bancroft; Jack & Arthur Bassett; Norman & Selwyn Biggs; Terry & Len Davies; Nathan & Aled Brew; George & Tom Dobson; John & Louis Dyke; David & William Gwynn; Bert & Tom Hollingdale; David & Evan James (4); Dick & Bobby Jones; Tuan, Ponty & Jack Jones; Gareth & Glyn Llewellyn (3); Andrew & Stephen Moore; Teddy & WL Morgan; Richard & Paul Moriarty (9); Charles & David Nicholl; Gwyn & Sid Nicholls; Jack & Wickham Powell; Dai & Glyn Prosser (2); Scott & Craig Quinnell (24); William & John Roberts (1); Jamie & Nicky Robinson; David & John Samuel (1); David & Harold Thomas (1); Bernard & Maurice Turnbull; Jack & Harry Wetter; Bleddyn & Lloyd Williams; Gareth & Owain Williams; Richard & Matthew Wintle.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness