Jump to main content

McBryde: Small margins are crucial

McBryde: Small margins are crucial

Wales are hoping to make this afternoon an uncomfortable day at the office for Ireland as the men in green attempt to keep their RBS 6 Nations title ambitions on track (KO 5pm).

Share this page:

Irish players have tasted a lot of success in Cardiff and don’t arrive with the baggage of a lot of other sides who fear the Millennium Stadium factor.

Ireland clinched the Grand Slam in 2009 at the Millennium Stadium while the Munster players within the Irish squad have tasted double success in the Heineken Cup with victories in 2006 and 2008.

Wales forwards coach Robin McBryde is fully aware Matthew Rees and co have it all to do if they are to keep their own title ambitions alive. But with both teams having a similar record with two wins from three games, something will have to give this afternoon.

McBryde said: “I think it’s fair to say both teams are struggling to find their top form, to really play at the best of their ability and have that accuracy under the pressure that international rugby brings.

“Hopefully, both teams will bring their best game to the table. We know how comfortable Ireland are coming to Cardiff, so hopefully we can make it as uncomfortable as possible. It will be about the small margins.”

Meaanwhile Ireland fly-half Ronan O’Gara needs just two points to reach 1,000 at international level which would put him alongside just four other players – Neil Jenkins, Jonny Wilkinson, Dan Carter and Diego Dominguez.

Jenkins said: “What can you say about Ronan? He has done everything. He is a Munster legend, and now he needs just a couple of points for a 1,000.

“If I see him I am sure I will have a bit of banter with him, as he is getting close to my number (of points). He is a legend of the game and a legend of Irish rugby.”

Wales: L Byrne (Ospreys); L Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), J Roberts (Cardiff Blues), J Davies (Scarlets), S Williams (Ospreys); J Hook (Ospreys), M Phillips (Ospreys); P James (Ospreys), M Rees (Scarlets, capt), C Mitchell (Ospreys), B Davies (Cardiff Blues), A-W Jones (Ospreys), D Lydiate (Newport Gwent Dragons), S Warburton (Cardiff Blues), R Jones (Ospreys).
Replacements: R Hibbard (Ospreys), J Yapp (Cardiff Blues), J Thomas (Ospreys), R McCusker (Scarlets), D Peel (Sale Sharks), S Jones (Scarlets), M Stoddart (Scarlets).

Ireland:
L Fitzgerald (Leinster); T Bowe (Ospreys), B O’Driscoll (Leinster, capt), G D’Arcy (Leinster), K Earls (Munster); R O’Gara (Munster), E Reddan (Leinster); C Healy (Leinster), R Best (Ulster), M Ross (Leinster), D O’Callaghan (Munster), P O’Connell (Munster), S O’Brien (Leinster), D Wallace (Munster), J Heaslip (Leinster).
Replacements: S Cronin (Connacht), T Court (Ulster), L Cullen (Leinster), D Leamy (Munster), P Stringer (Munster), J Sexton (Leinster), P Wallace (Ulster).

Referee: Jonathan Kaplan (South Africa).

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness