Jump to main content

Principality Premiership Play-Off Final Preview

Principality Premiership Play-Off Final Preview

Dale McIntosh believes securing a league and cup double with Pontypridd would be the finest achievement in his time at Sardis Road.

Share this page:

‘The Chief’ has endeared himself to the Valleys’ faithful during his long spell with the club as both a player, and now as head coach.

A win in tomorrow’s Principality Premiership final against Llanelli (KO 7pm) would secure a first double in Pontypridd’s history after McIntosh’s men sealed the SWALEC Cup title with a win over Neath at the Millennium Stadium a fortnight ago.

And despite being a cult figure with Pontypridd as a player and bringing through countless young Welsh players in his role as a coach, McIntosh reckons a double would be hard to surpass.

“A win tomorrow would be my finest achievement here but it is going to be tough,” said the Pontypridd head coach.

“We’ve been the most consistent side in the league for the third year running now. I think we deserve it but deserving it and earning it are two different things.

“There are so many memories for me personally at Sardis Road – full houses which did so much to motivate you as a player. If the players feel 50% if what I used to feel I’m sure we’ll do well. We are very proud to be representing valleys rugby and we will be counting on the support of the whole area tomorrow evening, whether it’s at Sardis Road or on the telly.”

McIntosh is certainly not underestimating the size of the challenge from Llanelli.

“Llanelli can run in tries from 60 or 70 metres no problem so we’ll have to defend well and our kicking game will have to be accurate. It will be a tough day at the office for us.”

With a full squad to choose from, McIntosh faces an embarrassment of riches as he brings in the likes of Rhys Shellard, Adam Thomas and Simon Humberstone to face Llanelli.

It is the third consecutive final between Pontypridd and Llanelli with a win apiece in the last two years. And while some may argue Pontypridd risk a lack of continuity by making such a large number of changes for the final, McIntosh disagrees.

“It was a tough selection again but we agreed to use 30 players in these two games,” he said.

“We selected the cup game knowing we’d make changes in this one and guys coming in include Adam Thomas, Owen Williams and Simon Humberstone.

“We’ll have a big shake up in the back row with Rhys Shellard and Edward Siggary coming in. It’s purely because each of these guys deserve to be a part of an occasion and I trust them.”

Pontypridd’s strength in depth is particularly shown in the wing position. Chris Clayton, who scored two tries against Neath at the Millennium Stadium, fails to make the starting XV.

“It’s nothing against the players who played in the cup final,” McIntosh added.

“We’ve agreed to use our squad as they’ve all made a huge contribution.”

While Pontypridd’s unbeaten home record this season is enough to scare anyone, Llanelli have a number of men who have the ability to threaten any side.

Wales Under 20 men Dion Jones and Jordan Williams both feature as does international teammate Daniel Thomas.

A semi-final away win over Llandovery has further boosted their confidence but Kirby Myhill knows the Llanelli front five must gain parity upfront if they are to have a chance.

“We had a good performance against Llandovery, probably one of our best of the season,” said the Llanelli hooker.

“Hopefully we can bring that form into Saturday and get the win.

“I don’t know if Pontypridd have got any weaknesses. They’ve got a great squad with great strength but as long as we perform the way we know we can then we’ll bring a win home.

“They’ve got big backs and forwards and we’re going to have to match them all over the park to be honest.”

“We’ve got a chance in the final and we’re looking forward to it,” added Llanelli head of rugby Anthony Buchanan.

“Pontypridd have only lost one game in the league all season and are SWALEC Cup champions. But this is a one off occasion and we know what we have to do.

“It’s an opportunity for us to use the experience we’ve gained over the years to our advantage.”

Pontypridd: 15.Adam Thomas; 14.Owen Williams, 13.Gavin Dacey, 12.Dafydd Lockyer, 11.Matthew Nuthall; 10.Simon Humberstone, 9.Lloyd Williams;
1.Stuart Williams, 2.Huw Dowden, 3.Kieron Jenkins, 4.Craig Locke, 5.Chris Dicomidis (capt), 6.Ed Siggery, 7.Rhys Shellard, 8.Dan Godfrey.

Replacements: 16.Joel Raikes, 17.Dai Flanagan, 18.Gareth Wyatt, 19.Darran Harris, 20.Wayne O’Connor, 21.Cory Hill, 22.Chris Phillips, 23.Scott Roberts.

Llanelli: 15 Dion Jones; 14 Kristian Phillips, 13 Nic Reynolds, 12 Chris Keenan, 11 Dale Ford; 10 Jordan Williams, 9 Gareth Davies; 1 Rhys Thomas, 2 Kirby Myhill, 3 Simon Gardiner, 4 Adam Powell (capt), 5 Jake Ball,
6 Lewis Rawlins, 7 Dan Thomas, 8 Craig Price

Replacement: 16 Tom Sloane, 17 Craig Hawkins, 18 Duane Eager, 19 Stuart Leach, 20 Justin James, 21 Johnny Lewis, 22 Steffan Hughes, 23 Peter Edwards

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness