Jump to main content

Jones seeking best yet

Jones seeking best yet

Adam Jones is intent on producing his best form of the season when the RBS 6 Nations kicks off on Saturday.

Share this page:

The veteran tight-head is in line to win his 90th cap against Italy at the Millennium Stadium as Wales go in search of a record-breaking third successive tournament title.

Jones admits he hasn’t been as consistent as he would like so far this term, with the new adaptation of the scrum laws bringing some difficulties for the 32-year-old. But Jones has always produced on the big stage, both for Wales and for the British & Irish Lions on back-to-back tours, and it would be a brave man who bets against him continuing that trend in Cardiff in two days’ time.

“I’ve played some of my best rugby in the Welsh jersey, and fitness-wise I feel good. I know it’s going to be a tough challenge with the Italian scrum, but we’ve worked really hard and I’m looking forward to it,” said Jones, who is keen to hit a century of Welsh appearances in 2014.

“As a pack at the Ospreys we have probably struggled and I put my hand up because there have been occasions when the new scrum laws have caused me a few problems.

“If anything I’d have thought the law changes would have been up my alley, but it’s taken me a bit of time to get used to them. You look at certain tight-heads, though: Dan Cole in Leicester hasn’t been quite as dominant and Martin Castrogiovanni hasn’t, either. It’s just the way we’ve scrummaged over the years.

“But I’ve worked hard with Robin McBryde over the past week on a different technique or style. It’s just about getting back. There’s no problem.”

Jones is being pushed hard for a starting spot by Scarlets duo Samson Lee and Rhodri Jones, with the Ospreys star lightheartedly commenting that, “as has been said, I’m having a shocking season and there are these two young tight-heads from Llanelli coming through”.

Wales head coach Warren Gatland is delighted with the strength in depth at tight-head now and he has this week reminded Jones that he is looking for a dominant display from the man who has been the nation’s rock at No3 for so long.

“I had a bit of a chat to Adam Jones this week and said… ‘you’re coming under some pressure from some youngsters, whether it’s Rhodri or Samson, because they’re snapping at your heels’.

“There’s some real talent coming through. I think that’s healthy for a squad.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness