Jump to main content

Internationals join ranks for cancer charity

Internationals join ranks for cancer charity

A number of Wales internationals will be pulling on their boots on Sunday at the Foster’s National Sevens (BT Cardiff Arms Park).

Share this page:

19-times capped Matthew Watkins, who is currently fighting a rare type of cancer, has organised a game of touch rugby during the event to raise funds and awareness for Velindre Cancer Centre, where is he currently receiving treatment.

He will captain one side in the match which will take place during the lunchtime break in play, while another former Wales centre, Dafydd James will skipper the other scratch side.

Tom Shanklin, Nathan Brew, Morgan Stoddart, Barry Davies, Gavin Thomas, Nathan Thomas, Rhodri Gomer-Davies, Ceri Jones and Gary Powell are just some of the names who have pledged to play at the second Foster’s 7s event, while Wales and Blues hooker Matthew Rees, although unable to play due to Blues commitments, has given his support for a cause very close to his heart.

“It’s great to see some former internationals are coming to the Arms Park on Sunday and supporting Velindre”, said Rees. “I just hope they haven’t lost too much pace!
“I’ll definitely be going along and showing my support, and the new pitch means we should see some great tries throughout the day too.”

Rees, who overcame testicular cancer last season, knows only too well what Watkins is currently going through.
“It’s very tough and the treatment is quite frightening, but Matthew is in great hands at Velindre, there’s a great team down there and the support you get is is phenomenal. I’ve been fortunate to come through the other side and knowing how positive Matthew is, that gets you a long way in this kind of diagnosis.

Matthew Watkins said, “I’m grateful to Heineken and the Welsh Rugby Union for giving us this chance to raise money and awareness for Velindre where I’m having treatment for my cancer at the moment and I’ve had a great response from the players I’ve asked to be involved.  Hopefully we’ll have a bit of a throw around and some fun, but there’s no doubt there’ll be a competitive edge to the game knowing all the guys!

“It will be good to be a part of the day too. I was there last year and there was some great rugby played. At the end of the day, it’s a great event to bring on the youngsters as sevens really improves skills and develops players for the highest level – we’ve seen the results of that in the world series. And I know the organisers of the event just want it to grow year on year so I’m pleased we’re a part of that.”

Watkins is currently in training for a fundraising bike ride from Boston to New York in four weeks’ time. “I’m really looking forward to that challenge which is to raise money for Velindre.”

Dafydd James added, “Cancer affects us all in some way or another so it’s just great to be able to lend our support when we can, raising awareness and money for the Velindre Cancer Centre.

“Everyone who knows me, knows I enjoy my training and try to keep as fit as possible so it’ll just be nice to have a run around and catch up with some old friends in a good cause.

“I’ve watched the highlights from last year, there are some very good teams involved and hopefully we’ll see some future regional players and generally enjoy an entertaining day of sevens rugby.”

Inaugural Foster’s Sevens champions Pontypridd kick off the rugby action with a crunch clash against Cross Keys at 10.20, followed by Cardiff Met v Ebbw Vale at 10.40. All 12 of last season’s Principality Premiership sides will compete for the title, the top two sides from last season’s SWALEC Championship, Ebbw Vale and Cardiff Met along with RGC 1404 and Welsh Students.
For full Round One schedule go to wru.co.uk/national7s

National Foster’s Sevens
Sunday 24 August – doors open 9.30, Game One 10.20, Cup Final 18.40.
Tickets for the whole day £10, Under 16s £5
www.wru.co.uk/national7s

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness