Jump to main content

Merry Xmas Warren – from Roberts and Davies

Merry Xmas Warren – from Roberts and Davies

Warren Gatland was handed an early Christmas present with centres Jonathan Davies and Jamie Roberts making try-scoring returns.

Share this page:

The midfield duo have formed Wales’ longest-serving centre partnership after 39 Test alongside each other.
They also featured together for the British & Irish Lions in the record Third Test win over Australia in 2013.
And they made the perfect return following lengthy breaks just seven weeks before the start of the RBS 6 Nations.

Davies played in last season’s European Rugby Champions Cup final with Clermont-Auvergne before ruptured knee ligaments ruled him out of the World Cup. But he marked his comeback from seven months out with Clermont’s fifth and final try in the thumping 42-10 win over Exeter Chiefs.

“It was good to be back on the field with the boys. It was my first game since May and my lungs were suffering and I was blowing from everywhere,” admitted Davies.

“I was just trying to get some oxygen when [Camille Lopez] spotted me out on the touchline and kicked the ball to me for the try. It was a good win in the end.”

The New Year will bring a return to a familiar ground for Davies when Clermont face table-topping Ospreys at the Liberty Stadium. And Davies knows only too well how difficult a place it can be to play from his days as a player for their rich-rivals, the Scarlets.

“It will be good to go back to the Liberty – I always get a good reception there. We will have to be on our mark when we play there,” added Davies.

His long-time strike partner Roberts also got on the scoresheet at the weekend on his debut for new club Harlequins. Dr Roberts took a break from professional rugby following the World Cup as he begins a Masters degree in medical science at Cambridge University.

And he shook off a dead leg from the Varsity Match to also score his team’s fifth try, in the 59-7 Challenge Cup win over Calvisano.

“I was pretty excited to get out there for my first game for Harlequins. It’s been a long time coming,” said Roberts.

“I signed at the start of the year and I finally got the chance to wear the quarters at the Stoop in front of a good crowd. Hopefully I’ve put my hand up for selection next week, it will be a huge match at Twickenham.

“It was a big step-up in intensity. The Varsity match is unique for the students but this is professional rugby, it’s a different ball-game. It’s great to get back and I’ve just got to keep working hard to improve myself as a player.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness