Jump to main content

Williams hungry for more success

Williams hungry for more success

Wales Under-20 full-back Rhun Williams is hungry for more success at the Junior World Championships after finding that winning feeling on the road to grand slam glory.

Share this page:

The North Walian, who will move south to the Cardiff Blues from RGC 1404 next season,  was a key part of the side who stormed to the Six Nations title with five wins from five matches. He will be hoping to continue his impressive form when Wales kickoff their Junior World Championships campaign against Ireland at Manchester City’s Academy Stadium next Tuesday.

And Williams reckons Wales will be flying high onto the world stage after their golden start to the year.

He said: “The butterflies start before a big tournament like this one, but everyone’s excited more than being nervous. We’re coming off the back of a class Grand Slam win so the whole squad, the coaches and medical staff are really excited for the tournament.

“Confidence is high, and we know we can do it, so the winning mindset is there. We can just focus on our rugby and the results should look after themselves. It will be a massive positive if we win three games.”

Wales face Ireland and Georgia at the Manchester City Academy Stadium before the ultimate test against New Zealand at Sale Shark’s AJ Bell Stadium. And Williams is hoping the Eirias Park faithful who roared Wales onto their Six Nations triumph, can make the short trip across the border to inspire Jason Strange’s men.

He said: “I could commute from home for the games, we’ll be based up north so I’ll get to pop home every now and again. I’ll have loads of support but you saw during the Six Nations, we get so many fans coming to our games.  I’m sure we’ll get fans from north, south and mid Wales coming up to Manchester to support.

“The crowd up at Eirias Park is always amazing, the players were talking about it all the time. Even walking around Llandudno in the day, everyone was coming up to us offering kind words. I was the only North Walian in the side, playing on my home pitch, it was a privilege. My friends and family will be going to the games.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness