Jump to main content

Diolch – Dan Biggar/Sam Davies and Dean Mason

Diolch – Dan Biggar/Sam Davies and Dean Mason

Reaching the top takes talent, hard work – and the support and dedication of family, coaches, volunteers, teachers and all the other people who help young people achieve their potential. We’ve asked Wales stars to nominate their Unsung Hero to shine a light on the brilliant work done at all levels of the game.

Share this page:

Wales and Ospreys fly-halves Dan Biggar and Sam Davies have already achieved great things on the pitch but as the man who helped the pair develop their skills while they were still teenagers, Dean Mason has a rather different perspective on their success.

“I’m more proud of what they are as young men and as role models rather than what they’re achieving on the rugby field.”

Mason, who has led Gowerton School’s rugby teams alongside teaching geography since joining in 1979, has taught and inspired thousands of pupils over the years, with Wales star Liam Williams and his up-and- coming Ospreys team-mate Keelan Giles also among the school’s illustrious alumni.

But Mason says helping young people to become “good citizens” has been his principal objective with rugby providing the ideal platform to help pupils develop as all-round individuals.

“I’m more proud of what they are as young men and as role models rather than what they’re achieving on the rugby field,” said Mason.

“Rugby develops those other skills which are really important – it raises self-esteem and improves personal skills and relationships.”

Biggar added: “It wasn’t so much about winning at a younger age, it was just about the taking part and I think he made that really enjoyable.

“A lot of work he does is outside of school hours and he deserves a lot of credit. He always used to organise touch-rugby tournaments on the tennis court at lunchtimes and he’d be always wanting people to succeed.”

The players have maintained relationship their with Mason since leaving Gowerton, on the outskirts of Swansea.

“I still speak to him – myself and Dan were at a memorial game for (former Gowerton teacher) Robert Evans who passed away a few years back and he gave us a text asking us both to go down,” said Davies.

“I still call him Mr Mason because he’s still my teacher! It’s a great privilege to have been taught by him. He’s got me to where I am now and hopefully I can go a bit further off the back of what he gave me.

“The boys just had so much respect for him.”

The respect worked both ways: at youth level, Mason allowed the pupils to decide who was going to be captain with both Biggar and Davies taking leadership roles.

“As a teacher, that’s what we’re about,” he added. “We want them to be the best they can be in whatever field they are. Dan and Sam undoubtedly are fantastic role models for young people on the field and – just as importantly – off it.

“Education is what survives after what has been learnt has been forgotten.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness