Jump to main content

Diolch – Rory Thornton and Keith Brooks

Diolch – Rory Thornton and Keith Brooks

Reaching the top takes talent, hard work – and the support and dedication of family, coaches, volunteers, teachers and all the other people who help young people achieve their potential. We’ve asked Wales stars to nominate their Unsung Hero to shine a light on the brilliant work done at all levels of the game.

Share this page:

Bonymaen RFC has produced several Wales internationals over the years, including Alun Wyn Jones and Richard Webster – and Ospreys and Wales Under-20s lock Rory Thornton could soon be added to that list.

If he makes it all the way to a senior cap, Bonymaen stalwart Keith Brooks will be one of the proudest men in Wales after playing a leading role in getting the 21-year-old to where he is now.

Brooks helped improve Thornton’s confidence on the rugby field, encouraging his all-round development as a rugby player rather than relying on his already imposing size as a youngster.

His advice? “Don’t just be any other old forward, try to have a bit of flair to your game as well. Don’t be afraid even though you’re quite a big guy – get the ball, pass it around.”

It would have been easy for Thornton to give up when he missed out on district and regional selections, but Brooks kept the faith.

“I told him to keep chipping away. It’ll come in the end – just keep going!” said Brooks, who spotted Thornton’s potential from a very young age. However, don’t mistake the former Bonymaen player for a soft touch.

“When we were in training he was a tough character,” said Thornton. “He wouldn’t let standards slip but he could still have that banter with you as well. He can be a friendly character when he wants to be!”

Thornton said he was touched that someone who wasn’t even a relative would care so much about his future, and provide that extra support.

“He was believed in all the boys and sometimes he seemed to believe in me even when I didn’t,” said Thornton.

“It was great to have that support – it’s just the way he is.”

Brooks said Thornton’s progress was a source of huge pride to himself and Bonymaen.

“Rory was a quiet lad, unassuming and he just enjoyed playing,” said Brooks.

“The good thing about Rory and lots of guys at the same time was that they were like sponges, they wanted to learn the game.

“Just seeing where he’s at today, it makes me proud. He’s one of my boys – he’s come through our system, I’ve been part of his development and it’s all about the players.”

Thornton has already been capped four times by the Under 20s and he wants his former coach to be in attendance if he gets the chance to make his senior debut.

“Having him experience that with me will be even better then because of the belief he’s shown in me over the years,” he said.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness