Jump to main content

PREM REVIEW: Unbeaten Ebbw go top ahead of big Gwent derby

PREM REVIEW: Unbeaten Ebbw go top ahead of big Gwent derby

Ebbw Vale head coach Greg Woods has plenty to smile about

Ebbw Vale remain the only unbeaten team in the Principality Premiership and the Steelmen moved top of the table with a 28-14 victory over Swansea at Eugene Cross Park.

Share this page:

Greg Woods’ side have won all six of their games so far this season and with two try bonus points to boot, Ebbw are two points clear of defending champions Merthyr at the summit.

It all represents a positive start to the domestic campaign for Woods and his team.

“We have won a lot of tight games this season,” said the Ebbw head coach.

“We are happy with where we are, but there is still a very long way to go. It’s very early days and we are just taking each match as it comes.

“Swansea are a good side and it was important for us to get our fourth try playing against the wind. We scored some good tries and controlled the game well which was pleasing.

“But we know we’ve got a tough run of fixtures up next. Facing Cross Keys, Pontypridd and then Merthyr is going to be very difficult and will test us to the full.”

Paul King opened the scoring for Ebbw and skipper Ronny Kynes soon made it two.

The always reliable Andrew Claypole got a try back for Swansea, but it only served to rile Ebbw who grabbed their third through a sublime Carl Meyer effort.

Meyer beat three Swansea defenders with a mazy run for an outstanding individual effort.

The visitors weren’t helped by yellow cards for Duane Eager and Sion Jones over the course of the 80 minutes and it allowed Joel Harries to grab Ebbw’s bonus-point try.

Swansea never went away and Ben Davies grabbed a late consolation.

Ebbw’s Rhys Jones kicked four conversions as they also defied a yellow card for Rob Sevenoaks. Woods’ Ebbw host former side Keys on Saturday for a huge Gwent derby clash.

He added: “Keys is a club I hold very dear to my heart. I’ve got some fantastic memories from my time at the club and they made me who I am as a coach today.

“It’s going to be a huge Gwent derby on Saturday night in front of the BBC cameras which will add an extra edge to things.

“I saw Keys’ game with Cardiff and I thought they were unlucky to lose. The message I’ve given to my players is ‘never be complacent’ because Keys are a very dangerous side.

“They’re scoring a lot of points this season and they’ve always got a very solid set-piece. Damien Welch is a top line-out operator and we’ll need to limit his impact there.

“We need to make sure we keep hold of the ball too because the brand of rugby Keys are playing behind the scrum is the sort of style Morgan Stoddart likes to use.

“They put width on the ball and Jason Tovey is a top operator at fly-half. I expect a really tough battle.”

Behind Ebbw, Merthyr and Aberavon are leading the charge, with Pontypridd, Llandovery and RGC 1404 all below them locked together on 21 points.

Merthyr were 38-16 winners over Bridgend as they made their dominance pay in the second half.

Hemi Barnes, Rhys Williams, Justin James, Sam Hobbs and Kyle Evans were the try scorers for Dale McIntosh’s home side, Hobbs and Evans striking late on.

Bridgend grabbed a try via Conor Tantum, but it wasn’t enough despite Merthyr seeing Osian Davies receive a yellow card.

Matthew Jarvis had a day to remember with the boot for Merthyr with a flawless kicking display.

Elsewhere, RGC claimed a famous away win at Llandovery, triumphing 32-24 at Church Bank with Billy McBryde the star performer for Mark Jones’ side.

Llanelli edged Scarlets rivals Carmarthen 19-18 to seal a morale-boosting win. Joe Roberts came up with the game’s deciding try and Ashley Sutton converted to secure the points.

Bedwas downed Bargoed 28-26 and Cardiff captain Joey Tomlinson scored a stunning first-half hat-trick as Cardiff edged Keys 36-35 in a thriller at Cardiff Arms Park.

Keys had a chance to win the game right at the death, but former Cardiff Blues and Dragons playmaker Tovey couldn’t convert Todd James’ try.

The drama in the Welsh capital was matched but in a different fashion at Sardis Road where Pontypridd hammered Neath 76-38 in a remarkable game.

In total there were 17 tries over the course of the 80 minutes with the scoreboard operator put into overdrive.

In a game that ebbed and flowed, the rate of tries was almost constant as Neath never went away despite going
down to a heavy defeat.

Pontypridd’s tries came from Gareth Smith (2), Corey Howells, Dafydd Lockyer, Dale Stuckey (2), Ben Jones, Jamie Hill (2), Alex Knot, Rhys Shellard and Joe Popple.

Neath managed efforts via Aaron Bramwell, Lloyd Evans (2), Mike Evans and Ben Uphill.

In the weekend’s final fixture on Sunday, the entertainment continued.

Aberavon were 38-35 winners over Newport at Rodney Parade.

Victory pushed the Wizards into third, but they had things far from all their own way as the Black & Ambers pushed them for the full 80 minutes.

Aberavon scored six tries to Newport’s five, but a late home effort from Geraint O’Driscoll nearly sealed a dramatic home comeback.

FOR THE FULL PRINCIPALITY PREMIERSHIP RESULTS AND LEAGUE TABLE, CLICK HERE

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness