Jump to main content

Powell’s delight as Brecon bask in the limelight

Brecon

Andy Powell (left) leads the Brecon celebrations at Principality Stadium

Andy Powell plans to celebrate his dramatic winning return to Principality Stadium with a tractor trip around Brecon after they sealed WRU National Plate glory 23-21 over Bonymaen.

Share this page:

Former Wales and British & Irish Lions international Powell has had plenty of success at the home of Welsh rugby, but declared his win with Brecon as up there with anything he has achieved.

A hat-trick from full-back and man of the match Jake Crockett did the damage for Brecon as they held on despite a nervy finale.

Powell said: “I’m delighted for the boys who have put in a lot of hard work. To come through shows the character we have in the squad. I didn’t know who to hug at the end!

“It’s a special moment and right up there with anything I achieved in my playing career. We are going to enjoy tonight and celebrate on Monday with a tractor and trailer trip round the Brecon pubs!”

Brecon went to the break 15-6 in front, but they should have been further clear as they dominated with their scrum a potent weapon.

Crockett soared to the line twice and Dean Gunter kicked a penalty and conversion. Bonymaen’s points came from two Richard Cunniffe penalties.

Cunniffe started the second half as he ended the first with a penalty, but Crockett completed his treble following fine approach work from outstanding No 8 and captain Ewan Williams.

To their credit Bonymaen didn’t go away and tries from Nathan Eager and Jack Davies got them back into it.

Late on Gunter missed a penalty for Brecon and Cunniffe had a chance to win it, but he couldn’t succeed with a three-point attempt which struck the post.

Brecon hero Crockett said: “I never thought I’d play at this stadium let alone score three tries. I can take this to the grave with me.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness