Jump to main content

Steelmen add new recruits

Steelmen add new recruits

Scott Gibson

Ebbw Vale’s summer recruitment has netted them wing man Jordan Thomas from Pontypool and ex-Neath and Cardiff scrum half Scott Gibson.

Share this page:

Thomas scored 23 tries in 51 appearances for Pooler as they won the Championship in 2018, 2019 and finished top of the pile this season. But now the 20-year-old wants to step up to the Indigo Group Premiership to test himself on a bigger stage

“My ambition has always been to play Premiership rugby and I was over the moon when Ebbw Vale came to me with the offer,” said Thomas.

“I have worked with Greg Woods in the past and he is a coach who I have looked up to and am looking forward to being coached by again. I look forward to the challenges ahead and playing in front of the Ebbw supporters.”

The 27-year-old Gibson will arrive at Eugene Cross Park with a wealth of Premiership experience behind him having played for Llandovery, Neath and Cardiff in the top-flight. He was at Brecon last season.

He will battle with Matthew Flanagan for the No 9 shirt following the departure of Dai Jones. He has also had exposure in the Anglo-Welsh Cup and Celtic Cup for Cardiff Blues, as well as in the Singha 7s of the Scarlets.

“I’m delighted to have signed with Ebbw Vale and I am really looking to getting back into the swing of things and hope that the supporters enjoy my style of play,” said Gibson.

“It would be great to see us pushing for honours in the coming season and I am really looking forward to becoming part of the club.”

As well as the new recruits, the Steelmen have also re-signed Dan Haymond, Mike Powell and Aaron Grabham. Full back Haymond will be entering his 10th season at the club, while wings Powell and Grabham were first-team regulars last season.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness